Monday 20 August 2012

'+81 Magazine'

                                       'Imprint', 210mm x 265mm, gouache & silkscreen on paper

I owe yet another BIG thank you to the brilliant people at '+81' Tokyo, for featuring me in their great Magazine.  A whole eight pages too, ; - )  This issues main focus is UK graphics & the Polish design scene.  I'm in amongst friends with another whole eight pages dedicated to 'Tappin Gofton', who I worked alongside with on The Chemical Brothers sleeves.  As well as a studio feature I was commissioned by '+81' in collaboration with leading Japanese sports brand Asics, to create a visual piece to advertise their Asics33 running shoes.  The brief was left very open & after a small discussion to learn about the shoe I decided to opt for a more painterly approach.  It seems very much the Japanese way to allow their choice of Artist complete creative freedom in order to gain their most honest and intuitive response.  Hence, creating the artwork was a lovely experience, free from the pressures of heavy deadlines and too many opinions!  Even when working in a medium that is still very new for me.