Saturday 31 December 2011

Kettles Yard, Cambridge.


Kettles Yard House, home of former Tate Gallery curator Jim Ede & his wife Helen is possibly my all time favourite place to be, (and my spiritual home I'm sure). By converting four neighbouring cottages they created a dwelling for themselves as well as providing an informal gallery space to display their collection of early twentieth century art. I won't spoilt it for you by trying to tell of its magic. If you can't foresee a visit then their website has an excellent virtual tour.



My urge to always create a 'something' after an afternoon under its spell is a quality I wish I could switch on so readily in my working life. This time I was straight to purchase a beginners gouache set. Clearly it's going to take some practice but the flatness of the paint applied is reminiscent of silkscreen printing. It feels like I'm on safe territory!